Sino-US Cultural Exchanges Government Scholarship of Nankai University Brochure
For the implementation of the “Study in China” Program and to assist the American Government in achieving the objective of sending 100,000 American students to study in China as expressed by current U.S. president Barack Obama when he first visitedChina in 2009, the Ministry of Education of China has established Sino-US Cultural Exchange Government scholarship scheme from 2011 to 2013.
In order to coordinate with the implementation of the Special Scholarship scheme, we here released the Information Brochure about the Sino-US Cultural Exchanges Government Scholarship of Nankai University for Postgraduate and Doctor Study Program.
Ⅰ. Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarship
|Categories of Applicants
||Duration of Major Studies
||Duration of Scholarship
| Academic year
|Master’s degree students
|Doctor’s degree students
- In general, the courses will be taught in Chinese. Scholarship students are required to take one-year remedial Chinese language course and pass the examinations prior to the major study if their Chinese language level is not qualified. If students take one-year Chinese language course, the duration of the scholarship will be extended for one year.
- For those who apply for Master Programs taught in English, please refer to the contents of English taught programs and consult the International Students Section, Office for International Academic Exchanges of Nankai University.
- Duration for scholarship specified at the time of admission can NOT be extended.
- Applicants must be American nationals in good health.
- Applicants cannot be currently studying in Chinese universities.
- Education background and age limit:
Applicants for master degree studies must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
Applicants for Doctoral degree studies must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Full scholarship:
- a) Exempt from registration fee, tuition, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and intramural accommodation;
- b) Living allowance and a one-time settlement subsidy;
- c) Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship that beyond the university’s arrangements should be paid by the student himself.
2) CNY300 per academic year was given to each scholarship student to cover necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other materials shall be self-funded.
3) Monthly living allowance is paid to the students by Nankai University at the following rates (CNY per month):
- a) Master degree students: CNY 1,700.00
- b) Doctoral degree students: CNY 2,000.00
Scholarship students shall get their monthly living allowance from the date of registration. Those who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the living allowance of a full month, and those who register after 15th will get that of a half month. Scholarship of the graduates will be paid half month after their graduation date. Scholarship of those who suspend or quit their studies will be stopped from the following month. Monthly living allowance will be paid during Chinese national holidays. Scholarship students who do not get the monthly living allowance during holidays can get reimbursed on return. Monthly living allowance of the scholarship students who do not register on time or stay away from university up to one month because of non-health reasons will be stopped.
Scholarship students who have to suspend their education for reason of illness should return to their home country for further treatment and rest. The international travel expenses of return and coming back should be shouldered by the students themselves, the scholarship status will be reserved for at most one year, the monthly living allowance will be stopped during the suspension of education and the scholarship of the students who suspend their education for reasons other than illness will be terminated.
4) A one-time settlement subsidy after registration of CNY 1500 for each new student who will study in China for one academic year or more
5) Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense generated in the institution’s hospital or the hospitals appointed by the institution. The students should afford a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution’s relevant regulations.
6) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is insured by MOEC for the scholarship students in China against diseases and accidents. The institution is entitled to ask for compensation on the payment receipts from the insurance company for the expenses generated from hospitalizing for serious diseases or from accidental injury according to the stipulated insurance articles.
7) International travel expenses: self-funded.
- Partial scholarship
One or some items of the full scholarship (one-off settlement subsidy and one-off inter-city travel allowance not included).
Admission Office: International Student Section, Office for International Academic Exchanges , Nankai University ,
Attn: Ms. Xiuqing Liu, Mo Dong.
Address: 94 Weijin Road, Tianjin, P.R.China 300071
Tel: 0086-22-23508686/23508825; Fax: 0086-22-23502990;